Parish History and Family History

St John the Evangelist Church was begun in 1831 and completed in 1833 during the reign of King William IV.  It was initially built as a Chapel of Ease in the parish of Handsworth, and in 1862 became a parish in its own right.

Inside the church there are many beautiful features including our stained glass windows, Lady Chapel, with a famous mural of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the baby Jesus on the 'Crooked Bridge', and a fine example of an early 19th century barrelled roof.

The photographs and postcards below show some views of the church from the earlier years of its existence.